Swindon residents' are being reminded to take care when cooking, after nearly two thirds of all accidental fires in the town last year started in the kitchen.
Within Swindon, Dorset & Wiltshire Fire & Rescue Service there were150 accidental fires in the home during 2017/18 - and 58 of those were directly attributed to cooking.
Group manager Glyn Moody, who is in charge of the three Swindon fire stations, said: "in the majority of cases, these fires were down to the occupier being distracted - for example, by other family members or answering the telephone. Across all types of accidental fires, there was also an issue with smoking, with 11 fires cause by smoking materials, often after people had fallen asleep."
He added: "Whenever we attend a property to deal with a fire, we assess whether there are working smoke alarms and any other fire risks which may need to be dealt with. Where appropriate, we then carry out free Safe & Well visits, which include fitting smoke alarms and advising occupants on how best to prevent further fires in the future."
Amongst the top tips for kitchen safety are:
Keep the oven, hob and grill clean as a build-up of fat or grease can catch fire when hot.
Keep tea towels and cloths away from the cooker and hob, and take care if you're wearing loose clothing.
Make sure children are never left alone in the kitchen when you're cooking.
Saucepan handles left sticking out create a danger - there's a risk they could be caught, leading to the pans being knocked of the hob.
Use spark devices to light gas cookers as they are safer than matches and lighters.
Wherever possible, never leave cooking unattended. If you do have to leave, set a timer - on the cooker or through your phone or watch - so that you don't lose track of time.
Keep electrical leads and appliances away from water.
Rather than use a chip pan, use a thermostatically controlled deep fat fryer, which can't overheat.
Avoid cooking if you are tired, have been drinking alcohol or are taking medication that leaves you drowsy.
If you're going to the pub and think you'll want something to eat afterwards, get a takeaway!
Make sure you have working smoke alarms and test them weekly. If you do have a fire, get out, stay out, and call 999.
To see if you qualify for a free Safe & Well visit, or to find out more information about being safe at home, visit www.dwfire.org.uk/safety or call 0800 038 2323.